Friday, April 2, 2010

My Grandmother's sister Nannie




On the left is a picture of my Grandmother's sister Nannie Viola Roberts Miller. In the picture she is about 14 years old (at least that's what it says on the back). Her short life ended very tragically at the age of 20 from a botched abortion. I don't know the circumstances behind why she tried to abort the baby, and I would hope that if any strangers read this blog, that they wouldn't post any mean or judgmental comments. She must have been very desperate to do it, knowing it could risk her well being. For years I didn't know if the story about the abortion was true or not, but in the past year or so I found her death record which confirms it. Her obituary above right claims she died of pneumonia, because obviously the family wouldn't have wanted everyone to know the truth.  I believe she is buried in an unmarked grave at Green Hill Cemetery in the lot in the pictured at the top. I  hope that women would never have to go back to the days of illegal abortion.

                                             

2 comments:

  1. Laurie,
    Thank you for all your hard work researching our family. I really enjoy reading about my relatives and looking at the pictures.
    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie, I am ashamed to say, I had never really looked at all this info. You have worked hard on this. How many people can go back this far in their blood line . Not many. This is all very interesting. Thank you, and keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete